Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ South Carolina Department of Revenue
Alcohol Beverage Licensing
PO Box 125
Columbia, SC 292​14-0907

Phone: 803-898-5864

Report alcohol-related violations:
​​​ ​
TIER ONE: ​Manufacturers (​Producers & Importers)

There are four types of businesses that require a producer/importer license​ to operate:

  • Beer, wine, or liquor producers that operate outside of South Carolina but intend to ship into and sell in South Carolina
  • ​Contract producers, which are any producers who utilize a contractor for production of beer, wine, or liquor
  • Client producers, which​​ are any third-party contractors who provide the production or manufacturing of alcohol products to an entity in SC that does not produce or manufacture all or a portion of its own alcohol products
  • Producers ​that import their alcohol products from outside of the United States​​
TIER TWO: Wholesalers "Distributors"
Businesses who purchase, acquire, or import beer​ and wine or liquor from manufacturers from inside and/or outside of SC for the purpose of resale.

TIER THREE: Retailers
Retailers are divided into two groups which indicates where beer and wine​ and liquor ​sold is consumed by the consumer: on-premises or off-premises.​ Retailers may only purchase from a wholesaler - and never directly from a manufacturer.​

Business operations for producers and importers​

Select a topic below to learn how to stay compliant when operating a producer/importer business in and with the state of South Carolina:

Licensing to manufacture, cook, and sell food products containing alcohol

The SCDOR requires you to have the following licenses depending on your food manufacturing operations. Click on a license below to see more details on how to apply and see answers to frequently asked questions.

  • If you are making and selling food products to retail customers, you will need a Food Manufacturer license (PFM)​.
  • If you are making and selling baked goods in bulk at wholesale, and not to retail customers, which requires you to have a large supply of liquor to manufacture your products, you will need the Special Bakery license (PBL).
  • If you are an establishment that does not have a Liquor by the Drink license, and only uses alcoholic liquors​ to cook foods (not manufacturing), you will need a Liquors Cooking license (PAL)​.​​

​​ ​

Frequently asked questions about manufacturing

ABL ​business operations​

Visit our Operating an ABL Business page​ ​to see ​more information on the following topics:

  • Liability insurance
  • ​Sunday sales (authorized counties and​ municipalities)
  • Hours of operation
  • Required signage
  • Alcohol pods
  • Legal ages for serving
  • ​Brand registration​
  • Advertising, packaging, & promotions

Nee​​d more ​help​​​?​

​Our FREE ABL Workshops are virtual and cover​ licensing basics, including applications and renewals, special events, and compliance laws.​ ​See class dates ​and register now >​​​
​​​ ​​Planning to host or sell goods and services at an event or festival?​ Get prepared with our Events & Festivals Guide >
​​​ Still haven't created a MyDORWAY account?See the bene​fits​ of creating a MyDORWAY account and sign up today >​