Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ South Carolina Department of Revenue
Alcohol Beverage Licensing
PO Box 125
Columbia, SC 29214-0907

Phone: 803-898-5864

Report alcohol-related violations:

​Operating an ABL business​​

Liquor liability insurance
If your business is open after 5 p.m. to sell ​beer, wine, and/or liquor for on-premises consumption, you must provide a copy of your liquor liability policy or general liability insurance policy with a liquor endorsement for an aggregate – not a per occurrence - of at least $1 million during the period of the license (SC Code Section 61-2-145). ​We recommend submitting the ACORD 25 document summarizing your insurance policy to satisfy this requirement. 

​We strongly encourage permit and license holders to notify us of any changes to you​r insurance coverage.

See a list of approved eligible surplus lines insurers that may offer liquor liability insurance or general liability insurance with a liquor liability endorsement (information provided by the South Carolina Department of Insurance).​

Legal employment and serving age

​​No one under the age of 21 may work in a liquor manufacturing, wholesale, or retail liquor store business.
  • ​​Under 18: May serve beer and wine ​only in sealed containers to be consumed off of the licensed premises (may not serve distilled spirits)
​​Restaurants and other establishments licensed for on-premises consumption must uphold the following age requirements when hiring servers and bartenders:
  • ​​​Over 18 and under 21: May serve beer, wine, and distilled spirits in open containers to be consumed on the licensed premises when the alcohol has been mixed, poured, or prepared by another employee who is at least 21 years of age
  • ​​Under 21: May not mix, pour, or prepare beer, wine, or distilled spirits to be consumed on the licensed premises (Bartenders must be at least 21 years of age when hired.)
​See SC Code Sections 61-4-90(D)​, 61-6-2200, 61-6-4070​, and 61-6-4140.

Click on a topic below for more details on operating an ABL business:​​​​

Beer & Wine​​

​The following permits allow for the sale of beer and wine on the following days and hours:

  • O​n-Premises Beer & Wine (PBW)
    On- or off-premise, 6 days a week, 24 hours a day
    If located in an LOP approved County, may also sell on Sundays (on-premise only) but not between 2 a.m. to 10 am. (SC Code Sections 61-4-120 and 61-4-630)

  • Off-Premises Beer & Wine (PBG)
    Off-premise, 6 days a week, 24 hours a day - but must stop selling on Saturdays at 11:59 p.m.

  • 7 Day Off-Premises Beer & Wine (P7B)
    Off-premise only, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day - Only in approved counties (SC Code Section 61-4-510)

  • 7 Day On-Premises Beer & ​Wine (PO7)
    Off-premise, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
    On-premise, 7 days,  except no on-premise sales on Sundays from 2 a.m. to 10 a.m. (SC Code Sections 61-4-510, 61-4-630, and 61-6-1610)

  • Beer & Wine Special Event (TBP)
    7 days a week, during the hours specified and approved on the ABL-100

Liquor (Liquor can never be sold between 2a.m.-10 a.m. on any day)

The following licenses allow for the sale of liquor on the following days and hours:​

  • Business (Restaurant or Hotel) Liquor by the Drink​ (PLB)
    Monday - Saturday, between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 a.m. (SC Code Section 61-6-1610)

  • ​​Nonprofit (Private Club)​​ Liquor by the Drink (PLC)
    7 days a week, between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 a.m. (SC Code Section 61-6-1600)

  • Liquor Special Event (TLP)
    Authorizes the sale of alcoholic liquors at bona fide nonprofit events for consumption between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 a.m. for the hours specified and approved on the ABL-100​ (SC Code Section 61-6-1610)

  • Local Option Permit (LOP)
    Sundays, from 12:01 a.m. to 2 a.m.; and from 10:00 a.m. to midnight.
    No sales between 2 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Sundays. (SC Code Section 61-6-1610​(A)(D))

  • Retail Liquor Store (PRL)
    Monday - Saturday, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ​(SC Code Sections 61-6-1500(A)(1)(a) and 61-6-​1140​(5))​
    Must be closed on Christmas Day​ (SC Code Section 61-6-4160)​

​Alcohol pods​​

Alcohol p​ods are small containers of condensed beer, wine, or liquor which are placed into a drink dispensing machine that dispenses water (and sometimes in combination with carbonation) to produce a complete drink or cocktail. Alcohol pods are regulated by Title 61 of the SC Code of Laws​ and are treated and taxed as beer, wine, or liquor​.

Pods containing liquor

  • May only be sold to go for off-premises consumption in a business that holds a Retail Liquor Store license. 
  • May be sold and served for on-premises consumption only in businesses that hold a Business ​Liquor by the Drink license. 
  • Sales for on-premises consumption are subject to the Liquor by the Drink Tax in addition to Sales Tax, Local Option Tax, and Hospitality Tax. 
  • Cannot be shipped directly to a consumer. 

Pods containing beer or w​ine

  • May be sold in businesses that hold a Beer & Wine permit.
  • Beer pods cannot be shipped directly to the consumer.
  • Wine pods may only be shipped directly to a consumer if the business holds a Wine Shippers permit. 

Drink dispensing machines:​

  • Packaged by themselves may be sold in businesses that do not hold a Beer & Wine permit or Liquor license. 
  • Packaged with beer, wine, or liquor pods may only be sold as outlined below: 
    • Packaged with beer pods may only be sold in businesses that hold a Beer & ​Wine permit. 
    • Packaged with wine pods may only be sold in businesses that hold a Beer & ​Wine permit​ or a Retail Liquor Store license. 
    • ​Packaged with liquor may only be sold in businesses that hold a Retail Liquor Store license. 
  • Are permitted to be used in businesses that hold a permit and/or license for on-premises consumption. 

SC Code Sections ​61-4-10, 61-4-500, 61-4-747, 61-6-20, 61-6-100, 61-6-1540, 61-6-1600, 61-6-1610, 61-6-2400​

​ ​
​​ ​

Register y​our brand​

Who should register their brand:

  • ​Out-of-state manufacturers selling and shipping into South Carolina
  • In-state manufacturers selling and shipping out of South Carolina​

Registering your brand online:​

  • Beer, wine, and malt products can be registered online at:​
  • Liquor brands must be submitted by paper using the Application for Liquor Brand Registration (AB​L-107A).​
  • Variety Packs or Value Added Packages (VAPs) do not need to be registered as long as the individual alcoholic products inside the package are already registered.
See a list of approved brands at:​​​

We accept the federal Certification/Exemption of Label/Bottle Approvals (COLA) or Formula approvals as stated in the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau's (TTB) guidelines for label approval​. Federal TTB’s must be received with your registration form. 

You can register your brand to more than one licensed South Carolina wholesaler as long as it does not violate any distribution agreements entered into between you and your wholesalers.​

Advertising​, packaging, & promotions​

The following topics cover the advertising of promotions and discounts for beer, wine, and liquor.​ ​​


(Laws for advertising ​beer, wine, and ​liquor ​promotions and discounts)​​​​​​


(Legal and prohibited promotions for discount ​beer, wine, and liquor)​​​
​​ ​ ​​ ​

Nee​​d more ​help​​​?​

​Our FREE ABL Workshops are virtual and cover​ licensing basics, including applications and renewals​, special events, and compliance laws.​ ​See class dates ​and register now​​​ >​​​
​​​ ​​Planning to host or sell goods and services at an event or festival?​ Get prepared with our Events & Festivals Guide >
​​​ Looking for more info on beer, wine, and liquor?Check out our newest pages for FAQs and topics specific to: Beer & Wine, Liquor, and Food & Special Events​.