Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ South Carolina Department of Revenue
Alcohol Beverage Licensing
PO Box 125
Columbia, SC 29214-0907

Phone: 803-898-5864

Report alcohol-related violations:

​ ​

Special Bakery License (PBL)

The Special Bakery License authorizes the purchase of alcoholic liquors from licensed manuf​acturers, wholesalers, and retailers, and possession of liquors for use in the manufacturing of baked goods. The finished goods may only be sold at wholesale to retail businesses, not to the public.​

License ​renewal

The Special Bakery License must be renewed every two years. The renewal date is based on the county where your business operates, not the date when you applied for or received your license. ​ Learn mor​e about the renewal schedule​.

​​ ​This license does NOT authorize:
  • The sale of manufactured products directly to the public
  • The sale of liquor for drinking purposes
  • The purchase, possession, sale, or consumption of beer or wine
  • The distilling, brewing, fermenting, blending, and bottling of any beverage containing alcohol at the licensed location​​

​Application requirements and instructions​

First, it's important for you to review the general ABL applicant requirements listed on the ABL license directory page ​to make sure you are eligible to apply.

When you’re ready to apply, we recommend submitting your application using our free online tax portal, MyDORWAY. It’s faster and easier than completing a paper application, and you don’t have to worry about mail proc​essing or making a trip to one of our offices.​

  • Non-refundable filing fee: $200 (Due at the time your application is submitted)
  • License fee: $1,200 (​Due every two years with li​cense renewal)
    • ​You must pay a prorated amount of the license fee after your Special Bakery License application has been approved by the SCDOR.

License requirements ​​​
  • ​You must submit a completed Application for Special Bakery License​ (ABL-9​​​04​), including all supplemental forms. See Required Forms below for more information. We recommend applying on MyDORWAY, but if submitting a paper copy of the application, make sure it’s signed and dated.
  • You must have an advertisement run in an approved newspaper that notifies the public that you have applied for an alcohol license. See Required Signs & Notices below for more information.

​​ ​

Frequently asked questions

Review the FAQs below for answers to frequently asked questions about the Special Bakery License. Our Liquor and ​Operating an ABL Business​​ pages ​have ​additional helpful information.​


​How is the Special Bakery License different than the Food Manufacturer Licens​e?​

Related SC Code of Laws

  • SC Code Section 61-6-7​20  –Outlines the Special Bakery License
  • SC Code Section 61-6-4060 – Prohibits liquor storage in unlicensed businesses​