South Carolina offers several options for filing Individual Income Tax returns. Filing electronically is the fastest and easiest way to complete your return, plus:
Automatic calculations reduce the chance of errors;
Systematic checkpoints ensure your return is complete before submission; and
We receive your return sooner, which means we can start processing it faster.
If you're expecting a refund, choose direct deposit! It's the fastest, easiest, most secure way to receive your refund.
Approved Free File software
- If you made less than $72,000 in 2020, you may be able to file your federal and state return using a free, easy-to-use service.
South Carolina Fillable Forms
- SC Fillable Forms is a good option if you want to file for free, you have a simple return, and you are comfortable doing your taxes yourself.
Approved commercial software
- If you don't qualify for a free filing option, you can still file your federal and state returns electronically using an approved tax preparation software.
File by paper
- More than 90% of returns filed in 2019 were filed online.
- Filing by paper increases your chances of errors and paper returns take longer for us to process, which may delay any refund you may receive.
Learn more about paper filing >
Have an Individual Income Tax bill?
Pay now on MyDORWAY using a credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express) or checking or savings account.
To pay by check, mail the check to the address on the form, letter, or notice related to your payment. The SCDOR only accepts checks drawn from a United States bank.
Need more time to file?
Request a six month filing extension for your South Carolina Individual Income Taxes by:
- Paying your balance due online using MyDORWAY on or before the due date. Choose the individual payment option, enter your taxpayer information, and then choose the "Extension Payment" option on the following screen. Your payment on MyDORWAY automatically submits your filing extension request. No additional form or paperwork is required.
OR Mailing a completed SC4868 with your payment for any balance due to the SCDOR on or before the due date.