Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ South Carolina Department of Revenue
Alcohol Beverage Licensing
PO Box 125
Columbia, SC 29214-0907

Phone: 803-898-5864

Report alcohol-related violations:

​ ​

Beer & Wine Wholesaler/Distributor Permit (PWB)

The Beer & Wine Wholesaler/Distributor Permit authorizes:

  • The purchase of beer and wine from breweries, wineries, producers, and importers​
  • The distribution and sale of beer and wine to licensed retail locations

License ​renewal

The Beer & Wine Wholesaler/Distributor Permit must be renewed every two years. The renewal date is based on the county in which your business operates, not the date when you applied for or received your license. ​ Learn more about the renewal schedule​.

​​ ​This license does NOT authorize:
  • The sale of beer or wine for credit or on consignment
  • The purchase or sale of liquor

​Application requirements and instructions​

First, it's important for you to review the general ABL applicant requirements listed on the ABL license directory page ​to make sure you are eligible to apply.

When you’re ready to apply, we recommend submitting your application using our free online tax portal, MyDORWAY. It’s faster and easier than completing a paper application, and you don’t have to worry about mail proc​essing or making a trip to one of our offices.​

  • Non-refundable Filing Fee: $300 (Due at the time your application is submitted)
  • ​License fee: $2,200 (Due every two years with license renewal)
    • You must pay a prorated amount of the license fee after your Beer & Wine Wholesaler/Distributor Permit application has been approved by the SCDOR.​

License requirements ​​
  • You must submit a completed Application for Brewery, Winery, Liquor Manufacturer and Beer, Wine, and/or Liquor Wholesaler (ABL-9​02), including all supplemental forms. See Forms below for more information. We recommend applying on MyDORWAY, but if submitting a paper copy of the application, make sure it’s signed and dated.
  • You must submit a copy of the lease, deed, writing from a local municipality, or enforceable written contract that grants you the right to use and control the licensed premises. This document must designate the specific area of the premises that will be licensed. In addition, you may supplement this document by submitting a copy of the ABL Lease Supplemental Information form (ABL-977). 
  • No person may have direct or indirect ownership, influence, or financial interest in more than one of the following entities: a wholesaler, a distributor, or a retailer of beer, wine, or liquor.

​​ ​

Frequently asked questions

Review the FAQs below for answers to frequently asked questions about the Beer & Wine Wholesaler/Distributor Permit. Our Beer & Wine and ​Operating an ABL Business​​ pages ​have ​additional helpful information.​


Am I allowed to accept product that has not been registered in the state?​

Related SC Code of Laws

  • SC Code Sections 61-4-30 – Require​s cash sales
  • SC Code Sections 61-4-735 & 61-4-940 – Outlines three-tier restrictions 
  • SC Code Section 61-4-942 – Restricts distribution agreements 
  • SC Code Section 61-4-1100 – Outlines prohibited practices 
  • SC Code Section 61-4-1115 – Outlines assignment of territory 
  • SC Code Section 61-4-1300​ – Outlines territorial agreements