Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ South Carolina Department of Revenue
Alcohol Beverage Licensing
PO Box 125
Columbia, SC 29214-0907

Phone: 803-898-5864

Report alcohol-related violations:

​ ​

Beer & Wine Special Event Permit (TBP)

The Beer & Wine Special Event License authorizes the sale of beer and wine at a special event for consumption on the designated premises. Liquor may not be sold, served, or consumed at an event solely authorized by a Beer & Wine Special Event Permit under any circumstances. Only a Liquor Special Event Permit​, which is reserved exclusively for nonprofit organizations, authorizes the sale, serving, or consumption of liquor at a special event.

License ​renewal

The Beer & Wine Special Event Permit may be obtained as needed. Applications must be submitted at least three days prior to the beginning of the event. 

​​ ​This license does NOT authorize:
  • The sale, serving, or consumption of liquor
  • The sale of beer or wine purchased from a retail location
  • The retention of beer or wine left over from the event for future sale
  • The sale or consumption of beer or wine outside of the special event premises
  • The sale or consumption of beer or wine at a location that has a pending permanent alcoholic beverage license application
  • The distilling, rectifying, brewing, fermenting, blending, or bottling of alcoholic beverages

After logging in, select the More tab, then click Apply for a New Alcohol Beverage License.​​

Don'​t have an account?
Sign u​p now​

​Application requirements and instructions​

First, it's important for you to review the general ABL applicant requirements listed on the ABL license directory page ​to make sure you are eligible to apply.

When you’re ready to apply, we recommend submitting your application using our free online tax portal, MyDORWAY. It’s faster and easier than completing a paper application, and you don’t have to worry about mail proc​essing or making a trip to one of our offices.​

  • License fee: $10 per calendar day of the event

License requirements ​​

  • You must first have a valid South Carolina Retail License. If you have not yet applied for a Retail License, get started here
  • You must submit a completed Application for Special Event Beer, Wine, and /or Liquor (ABL-900), including all supplemental forms. See Required Forms below for more information. We recommend applying on MyDORWAY, but if submitting a paper copy of the application, make sure it’s signed and dated. 
  • You must notify SLED at least 24 hours prior to your event by emailing them at Copy ABLCompliance​ on your email. You must have notified SLED of when and where your event will be taking place prior to receiving your Beer & Wine Special Event Permit
    • Your email should include your name, your organization’s name, and the type, address, date and time of your event. 
  • You must submit a copy of the lease, rental agreement, or enforceable written contract that grants you the right to use and control the licensed premises. This document must designate the specific area of the premises that will be licensed. In addition, you may supplement this document by submitting a copy of the ABL Lease Supplemental Information​ (ABL-977). 
  • If your event has multiple vendors, you must submit a map of the entire area identifying your location and the locations of other vendors. If applying on MyDORWAY, we recommend submitting your map as an attachment to your application.
  • The location must be suitable for the sale and consumption of beer, wine, and liquor in the opinion of the SCDOR. 
  • This license is issued for a specific location only. Once your location has been approved by the SCDOR, you cannot transfer the license to another location. 
  • The SCDOR will not issue a Special Event License to a location that has a pending application for a permanent beer, wine, or alcoholic liquor license or permit.


Frequently asked questions

Read the FAQs below for answers to frequently asked questions about the Beer & Wine Special Event Permit. Our Special Event Permits​​ page ​has ​additional helpful information.​


Related SC Code of Laws

SC C​ode Section 61-4​-510​ – Outlines permit and requirements