Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ South Carolina Department of Revenue
Alcohol Beverage Licensing
PO Box 125
Columbia, SC 29214-0907

Phone: 803-898-5864

Report alcohol-related violations:

​ ​

Liquor Special Event Permit (TLP)

The Liquor Special Event Permit authorizes the sale of liquor by the drink at a special event for consumption on the designated premises. Only a nonprofit organization may qualify for and receive a Liquor Special Event Permit.

License ​renewal

The Liquor Special Event Permit may be obtained as needed. Applications must be submitted at least three days prior to the beginning of the event. 

​​ ​This license does NOT authorize:
  • ​The sale of beer or wine without a Beer & Wine Special Event Permit​ 
  • The sale of liquor by the bottle 
  • The sale of liquor purchased from a retail location 
  • The retention of liquor left over from the event for future sale 
  • The sale or consumption of liquor outside of the special event premises 
  • The sale or consumption of liquor at a location that has a pending permanent alcoholic beverage license application
  • The distilling, rectifying, brewing, fermenting, blending, and bottling of alcoholic beverages at the licensed location
  • The sale of liquor at an event by a for-profit organization
  • The sale of liquor at an event where another party is charging for admission or tickets
  • The sale of liquor at a Beer & Wine Special Event being held by another party

After logging in, select the More tab, then click Apply for a New Alcohol Beverage License.​​

Don'​t have an account?
Sign u​p now​

​Application requirements and instructions​

First, it's important for you to review the general ABL applicant requirements listed on the ABL license directory page ​to make sure you are eligible to apply.

When you’re ready to apply, we recommend submitting your application using our free online tax portal, MyDORWAY. It’s faster and easier than completing a paper application, and you don’t have to worry about mail proc​essing or making a trip to one of our offices.​

  • License fee: $35 per calendar day an event is held. Events extending after 11:59 p.m. require an additional day’s fee.

License requirements ​​

  • The organization applying for this permit must: 
    • Be registered with the SC Secretary of State’s Office as a charity or n​onprofit organization.
    • Have a definite method of electing individual members to the organization. This method must be described in the club's bylaws and relate to the organization’s purpose. 
    • Be maintained through the payment of membership dues. 
    • Be managed by a board of directors, executive committee, or similar governing body chosen by the members at a regularly-held meeting on at least an annual basis. 
    • Have no member or shareholder of the organization benefiting from the organization’s net earnings. 
  • You must submit a completed Application for Special Event Beer, Wine, and /or Liquor​ (ABL-900), including all supplemental forms. See Required Forms below for more information. We recommend applying on MyDORWAY, but if submitting a paper copy of the application, make sure it’s signed and dated. 
  • You must notify SLED at least 24 hours prior to your event by emailing them at You must have notified SLED of when and where your event will be taking place prior to receiving your Liquor Special Event Permit.
    • Your email should include your name, your organization’s name, and the type, address, date and time of your event. 
    • On your email, copy ABL​ 
  • You must submit a copy of the lease, rental agreement, or enforceable written contract that grants you the right to use and control the licensed premises. This document must designate the specific area of the premises that will be licensed. In addition, you may supplement this document by submitting a copy of the ABL Lease Supplemental Information (ABL-977). 
  • If your organization has experienced a recent change in officers or members, you must submit recent meeting minutes. If applying on MyDORWAY, we recommend submitting your meeting minutes as an attachment to your application. 
  • If your event has multiple vendors, you must submit a map of the entire area identifying your location and the locations of other vendors. If applying on MyDORWAY, we recommend submitting your map as an attachment to your application. 
  • ​The location must be suitable for the sale and consumption of beer, wine, and liquor in the opinion of the SCDOR. 
  • This license is issued for a specific location only. Once your location has been approved by the SCDOR, you cannot transfer the license to another location. 
  • We will not issue a Special Event License to a location that has a pending application for a permanent beer, wine, or alcoholic liquor license or permit.


Frequently asked questions

Review the FAQs below for answers to frequently asked questions about the Liquor Special Event Permit. Our Food & Sp​ecial Events​​ page ​has ​additional helpful information.​


Am I permitted to offer bottle service of liquor?​

Related SC Code of Laws

  • SC Code Section 61-6-20​00​ – Outlines permit and requirements
  • SC Revenue Ruling #12-​3​ –​ Fundraising Events by Nonprofit Organizations