The SCDOR issues two different
Special Event Licenses: the
Special Event Beer & Wine Permit and the
Special Event Alcoholic Liquors License.
Special Event Beer & Wine Permit (TBP) authorizes the sale of beer and wine at special events for consumption on the licensed premises.
Special Event Alcoholic Liquors License (TLP) authorizes the sale of alcoholic liquors at bona fide nonprofit events for consumption on the licensed premises. This permit is issued to nonprofit organizations only. To be eligible for this permit, a nonprofit organization must have an eleemosynary charter from or be a political party affiliate certified by the
South Carolina Secretary of State's office.
This license does NOT authorize
- The sale or consumption of beer, wine, or alcoholic liquor drinks outside of special events.
- The sale or consumption of beer, wine, or alcoholic liquor drinks at a location that has a pending permanent alcoholic beverage license application
- The distilling, rectifying, brewing, fermenting, blending, and bottling of alcoholic liquors at the licensed location
- The Special Event License cannot be issued for a period exceeding 15 days.
Review the general applicant qualifications to make sure you are eligible to apply. These are the required application materials for the
Special Event License. If you have questions about the application process in general, visit our
General Information page.
- General License/Permit Requirements
- Residency Requirement
- If the applicant is a sole proprietor, they must have been a legal resident of South Carolina for 30 days prior to submitting an application to the SCDOR.
- If the applicant is an entity, it must have been registered with the South Carolina Secretary of State's office for 30 days prior to submitting an application to the SCDOR.
- All principals, officers, owners, and managers must be of good moral character and be at least 21 years of age.
- The applicant must already have a valid South Carolina Retail Sales License, Admissions Tax License, or hold a Retail Sales or Admissions Tax Exemption Certificate. For more information, contact the SCDOR License and Registration Section at 803-898-1350.
- All principals, officers, owners, and managers must be in tax compliance with the SCDOR. This includes:
- Filing a South Carolina State Individual Income Tax return if they are South Carolina residents
- Owing no tax liabilities to the SCDOR
- No person, partner, or member may have any financial interest of any kind in any other tier of the beer, wine, or alcoholic beverage industry.
- General On-Premises Regulations
- The location must be suitable for the sale and consumption of beer, wine, and liquor in the opinion of the SCDOR.
- This license is issued for a specific location only. Once your location has been approved by the SCDOR, you cannot transfer the license to another location.
- We will not issue a Special Event License to a location that has a pending application for a permanent beer, wine, or alcoholic liquor license or permit.
- Special Event Beer & Wine Permit: $10 per day
- Special Event Alcoholic Liquors License: $35 per day
- Both licenses: $45 per day
- Events extended past 11:59pm require an additional day's fee
- Due when you submit your application
- Law Enforcement Notification for Special Event Application (ABL-100)
- Application for Special Event Beer, Wine, and/or Liquor (ABL-900)
- You must file your application at least 15 days prior to your event.
- Applicant and Principal Consent and Waiver (ABL-946)
- Each principal, officer, owner, member, and/or partner
MUST complete the form.
- Criminal Records Check (CRC) for each principal. CRC cannot be more than 90 days old.
- If the principal has lived in SC for 2 or more years, obtain the CRC from SLED
- If the principal has lived in SC less than 2 years, obtain a CRC from SLED
and from previous state of residency
the principal is not a SC resident, obtain a statewide CRC from their current state of residency
Click the title above to review FAQs about the Special Event License. If you have general questions, please see our main FAQs page.