Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In


​​South Carolina Department of Revenue
Alcohol Beverage Licensing
Columbia, SC 29214-0907

Phone: 803-898-5864
Fax: 803-896-0110


​Non-Profit (Private Club) Liquor by the Drink

120 Day Temporary
Authorizes a person who purchases or otherwise acquires a retail business, which is licensed to sell liquor by drink at the business, upon initiating the application process, may be issued a temporary Liquor by the Drink license.

  • The existing business must have a biennial license that has not expired, been suspended or revoked. The license must be submitted with the completed ABL-901 application.
  • A $25.00 fee is required for each temporary license requested, plus an additional $5.00 Certification fee.
  • Attach a copy of the Ad Receipt from the approved newspaper indicating that you have paid for the Notice of Application.
  • Attach a copy of the bill of sale, lease, probate document, divorce decree, eviction order, or document showing how the business was acquired.
  • Must submit a copy of organizational by-laws.
  • Be sure to include the Retail Sales Tax License number on the ABL-901 application.

Authorizes the sale and consumption of alcoholic liquors on the licensed premises. These licenses are issued ONLY to nonprofit organizations chartered by the SC Secretary of State's Office. These locations may not be open to the general public.

  • An applicant must be 21 years of age, be of good moral character, be a legal resident of the United States and if applying as a sole proprietor, must be a legal resident of South Carolina for 30 days prior to submitting an application to this department.
  • The applicant must be the owner of the business seeking the license and must not previously have had a license revoked within the past five years.
  • All principals, officers, agents, and employees listed on the license must be over the age of 21 and be of good moral character. A current criminal history background check of not more than 90 days old, on each principal, officer, and employee must accompany this application.
  • Please check with the city and/or county authorities to ensure you are in compliance with zoning laws and local business license requirements.
  • Tax Liabilities: A license cannot be issued if the applicant or any principal has any outstanding tax liabilities with the SCDOR.
  • Sign Posting:
    1. An agent of the SC State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) must post and remove a sign at the proposed place of business.
    2. This sign must remain posted for at least 15 days, and may be removed only by the SLED agent. If the sign disappears before the SLED agent removes it, contact the SCDOR or SLED immediately.
    3. Licenses will not be issued until the afternoon of the fourth days after the sign is taken down by the agent; unless your published ad provides for a later date.
  • Newspaper Advertisements:
    1. A notice of application must be placed at least once a week for three (3) consecutive weeks in a newspaper approved by the department for your area.
    2. This notice must:
      • Be in the legal notices section or an equivalent section if the newspaper has no legal notices section;
      • Be in large type, covering a space of one column wide and at least two inches deep; and
      • State the type of license applied for and the exact location of the proposed business.
    3. To complete your application, you must submit your Affidavit of Publication and a copy of the ad furnished by the approved newspaper office.
    4. Please refer to the ABL-32 for a complete list of approved newspapers.

Authorizes the sale and consumption of alcoholic liquors on the licensed premises. These licenses are issued ONLY to nonprofit organizations chartered by the SC Secretary of State's Office. These locations may not be open to the general public.

  • Completed application (ABL-901), signed, dated and notarized.
  • Submit nonrefundable filing fees: $200.00
  • Submit an Affidavit of Publication from the newspaper running your ad. The affidavit must include a copy of your ad. If you just started your ad in the newspaper and have not received the ad and affidavit, you MUST include the receipt from the newspaper with your application. Forward the ad and affidavit as soon as the newspaper provides it to you. Your license cannot be issued until this is received.
  • Must complete ABL-946  (Consent and Waiver).
  • Must attach copy of Articles of Incorporation, if applying as a corporation.
  • Must attach a Certificate of Authority to do Business in South Carolina, obtained from the Secretary of State's office, if applying as a foreign corporation.
  • Must attach a copy of Articles of Organization and Operating Agreement, or LLC Supplemental Information Form (ABL-919), if applying as a Limited Liability Corporation.
  • Must attach copy of Partnership Agreement, if applying as a partnership or Limited Liability Partnership.
  • Must attach a copy of by-laws, if applying as a nonprofit club.
  • All principals must attach a criminal records check (CRC), not more than 90 days old.
    1. If the principal has lived in SC for more than two (2) years, obtain the CRC from SLED at or SLED Headquarters, Criminal Records Department, 4400 Broad River Rd., P.O. Box 21398, Columbia, SC 29221.
    2. If the principal has lives in SC less than two (2) years, obtain a statewide CRC from previous state of residency AND a CRC from SLED.
    3. If principal is not a SC resident, obtain a statewide CRC from current state of residency.
  • Must attach a copy of lease, deed or tax bill for the location which you are seeking a license. The lease, deed or tax bill must be in the applicant's name and list the physical address of the business location.
  • Must attach completed residency status verification affidavit. Use Verification of Lawful Presence in the United States-Applicant and Principals (ABL-920) for each principal. Each principal, officer, owner, member, and/or partner MUST sign the form. If applicable, include his/her non-citizen alien registration number and attach a copy of all appropriate immigration documents.
  • General Location Requirements for Non-Profit Private Club Liquor by the Drink:
    1. Your business must be at least 300 feet from a church, school or playground if the church, school or playground is located in the city.
    2. Your business must be at least 500 feet from a church, school or playground if the church, school or playground is located in the county.
    3. These requirements do not apply if the establishment or location was established prior to November 7, 1962 or if you are acquiring a business that is currently licensed to sell alcohol. ABL Regulation 7-303 establishes how this measurement is conducted.
    4. The Department may issue a license so long as distance requirements are met in regards to schools, and so long as any playground or church within the parameters affirmatively states that it does not object to the issuance of a license (ABL-956).
  • Nonprofit Organizations (Private Club) Liquor by the Drink Requirements:
    1. The premises to be licensed must not be open to the general public and must have limited membership.
    2. The premises to be licensed must be located in a place separate and distinct from the premises of any business establishment. (This means that the location must have a separate address, separate entrance, and cannot be connected by common doors or passageways with any other business premises).
    3. The club's by-laws must have a fixed method of electing persons on an individual basis to membership in the organization.
    4. The method of electing members must bear some reasonable relationship to the object and purpose of your organization.
    5. The club's by-laws must require that upon dissolution, its residual assets must not inure to the direct benefit of any member, but must be turned over to a nonprofit organization, which is organized and operated for charitable purposes.
    6. Your club's by-laws, charter, or constitution must require that it be operated solely and exclusively for social, benevolent, patriotic, recreational, or fraternal purposes. You must attach a copy of your club's by-laws and a certified copy of the club's charter, Articles of Incorporation, or constitution.
    7. The bar area used for storing and dispensing liquor by the drink must be lighted (or plan to be lighted by the time you open for business) so that members have a clear view of all activities taking place in the bar area.
    8. You must have functioning restrooms available for use by members.
    9. If you are selling liquor by the drink (from "big bottles" and/or minibottles) you are required to remit the five percent liquor by the drink excise tax. Upon completion of the ABL registration process you will receive an information packet that includes the liquor by the drink return and procedures on remitting the liquor by the drink excise tax.