The information below is for the 2020 filing season. Information for 2021 will be posted soon.
Free File Options for South Carolina
These providers offer
free electronic filing of both federal and South Carolina returns to South Carolina taxpayers who meet the qualifications listed. You must start your return by clicking a link to a provider's website from this page. Use of other sites that promote a free federal return will not guarantee your ability to also file your South Carolina return for free.
Need help choosing a Free File option? Use the IRS's Free File tool. Your provider must be listed on this page for you to file both your federal and state returns for free.
Common abbreviations: Many of the options below are based on your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or qualification for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).
If you don’t qualify for any of these offers, you may be able to file electronically for free using
South Carolina Fillable Forms.
offers free federal and state tax returns if you meet the following qualifications:
- Your AGI is $69,000 or less, and you are under the age of 51
From simple to complex, FreeTaxUSA® Free File Edition
offers free federal and South Carolina online tax return preparation if you meet the following qualifications:
- Your AGI is $36,000 or less or
- You qualify for the EITC or
- You served Active Duty Military in 2019 with an AGI of $69,000 or less
Note: The FreeTaxUSA Free File offer must be accessed from the link above. Using any other link to access FreeTaxUSA may result in fees or charges.
offers free federal and free state tax preparation and e-file, if you meet one of the following qualifications:
Your AGI is $69,000 or less and you were between the ages of 17 and 51 (as of December 31, 2019) or
You are Active Dutiy Millitary and your AGI is $69,000 or less or
You qualify for the EITC
Note: The H&R Block Free File website must be accessed through the link above. If you have used a Block product in the past and paid for your filing, DO NOT return to that site or link as it may result in fees or charges.
Intuit TurboTax is proud to sponsor IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax
, donating free online federal and state tax returns and extensions for taxpayers who meet one of the following requirements:
- Your AGI was $36,000 or less
- Your AGI was $69,000 or less and you served Active Duty Military (including Reservists and National Guard) or
- You qualify for the EITC
OnLine Taxes at OLT.com®
offers free federal and state online tax preparation and e-filing for taxpayers who meet one the following qualifications:
- Your AGI is between $14,000 and $69,000 regardless of age
- You are Active Duty Military and your AGI is $69,000 or less
Note: The OLT Free File website must be accessed through the link above. Any other link used to access OLT website may result in fees or charges.
TaxAct® offers free federal and South Carolina returns if you meet the following qualifications:
- Your AGI is $59,000 or less and you are 56 years old or younger,
You are eligible for the EITC,
You are Active Duty Military and your AGI is $69,000 or less
1040Now® offers free federal and free South Carolina Income Tax preparation and EFile of tax returns for taxpayers who meet the following qualifications:
- Your AGI is $32,000 or less
- You live in South Carolina
Note: In order to be provided the FREE offer for both the federal and South Carolina return, taxpayers must create their account from the link above. Offer is limited to three free returns per computer.
- The descriptions above were prepared by each vendor. The SCDOR neither endorses nor guarantees the truthfulness of the statements made by online software providers.
- Clicking a vendor's link will take you to the commercial vendor's privately owned website.
- Review the vendor's terms and conditions so you know what information is collected by this private company.
- The SCDOR can't provide technical support for commercial software products. Any questions you have while using the software need to be directed to the vendor's customer support.