2021 Sales Tax Holiday
During the annual Sales Tax Holiday, a variety of purchases are exempt from the state's 6% Sales Tax and any applicable local taxes. Tax-free items range from clothing, accessories, and shoes to school supplies, backpacks, and computers. As long as an item is eligible, it is tax-free whether purchased in-store or online.
Remember that eligible items are still tax-free if you shop online!
- Check with your local retailer to see if they offer online shopping, delivery, or curbside pick-up.
- Find cybersecurity tips at
Did you know?
- The Sales Tax Holiday in South Carolina first started in 2000.
- In past years, shoppers have saved between $2 million and $3 million during the weekend.
- There are 19 taxes in the
Sales & Use Tax family, though not all of them apply to retail sales. Some of these 19 are local taxes that counties may choose to adopt to fund things like transportation projects and schools or to reduce Property Taxes.
These abbreviated lists include common items, but are not all-inclusive. Please see
Revenue Ruling 19-4 for more information on exempt and nonexempt items.