Since Dorwin's launch on July 12, 2021, the virtual assistant has answered more than 116,000 questions from over 85,000 customers, instantly helping South Carolinians resolve their issues without waiting to speak to a live person.
Even with Dorwin's addition to the lineup, the SCDOR understands MyDORWAY users, especially newer customers, may occasionally have questions about using the tax portal. Below are some of the most common issues the SCDOR receives questions about, along with the resolution for each.
Users want to grant MyDORWAY account access to a third party, like their tax manager, accountant, employee, or another person who manages their tax accounts.
One user can’t grant MyDORWAY access to another user without receiving a request first. For you to grant access to a third party, they must first request access to your accounts. For full instructions, click the Dorwin button on
request account access
Businesses use one MyDORWAY account and share the account among multiple employees.
✔ RESOLUTION: For security and accessibility reasons, the SCDOR strongly discourages businesses from sharing MyDORWAY accounts. Each user should sign up for their own MyDORWAY account and request access to the tax accounts they need to manage.
The account balance on MyDORWAY doesn’t reflect a recent payment.
✔ RESOLUTION: Depending on your payment type, date, and method, the account balance you see on MyDORWAY may not update until after the SCDOR has processed your payment and any applicable return. If you paid with a credit card, it takes
4-5 business days for credit card payments to be visible on MyDORWAY, and on the SCDOR's internal processing system.
Users have a “credit” on one of their MyDORWAY balances.
✔ RESOLUTION: If you have made an
estimated payment or a pre-payment, your account balance on MyDORWAY may show a credit (with the amount displayed in green) until you have filed and the SCDOR has processed your return.
Users ask Dorwin account-specific questions.
As you are interacting with Dorwin, keep in mind that it is not a real person. As a virtual assistant, it is unable to identify MyDORWAY
users or provide account-specific answers. If you have a detailed question about your specific account,
contact the SCDOR
. If you have a MyDORWAY account, the easiest, most efficient way to talk to the SCDOR is to send a MyDORWAY web message. For full instructions, click the Dorwin button on MyDORWAY and enter
Users are unable to locate their file number.
- If you manage the tax account on
MyDORWAY, log in. Go to the
Accounts tab and scroll to the correct account. The number listed under the word Account is your file number.
- If you don’t have a
MyDORWAY account, refer to past correspondence you have received from the SCDOR. Your file number may be listed on account-specific notices and letters.
- If your business has an SCDOR-issued license, like a Retail License, ABL license or permit, Admissions Tax license or Dry Cleaners Annual Certificate of Registration, your file number is located on your license.
- If you can’t find your file number on any of those locations, you’ll need to
contact the SCDOR. You will need to verify your identity. For some accounts, the SCDOR may not be able to provide your file number for security reasons.
- The SCDOR cannot tell you any of your federal account numbers, like your ITIN or FEIN. You will need to contact the IRS for assistance.
Users go to MyDORWAY looking for information that will help them better understand a notice or letter they received from the SCDOR.
Read your notice carefully. There is no information you can learn about your notice on MyDORWAY that is not contained on your notice. If you have questions about your notice, or want to verify its legitimacy, there should be contact information at the bottom of the notice.
- If you are required to make a payment based on your notice, click
Make a Payment on the
MyDORWAY homepage, then select
Bill Payment. For full instructions, click the Dorwin button on MyDORWAY and enter
Visit our website for more information about
SCDOR notices and letters.
PASSWORD, USER NAME, and LOGIN ISSUES
Users forget their user name.
If you forget your user name, you must create a new
account. For security reasons, SCDOR representatives cannot tell you your user name. Once you register for a new account and verify your identity, you will have access to your tax account history on MyDORWAY.
SCENARIO (UPDATED 11/4/22):
Users are locked out of MyDORWAY after entering an incorrect password three times.
✔ RESOLUTION: Users who enter an incorrect password three times will be locked out of their account. They can unlock their MyDORWAY account by resetting their MyDORWAY password. Click the
Forgot your password? link on the MyDORWAY homepage to get started.
Users aren’t receiving the password recovery email after attempting to reset their password.
- Check your email account’s spam and junk folders.
- Verify that you entered the correct email address on the password reset screen. If you entered the wrong email address,
MyDORWAY will not display an error message.
- If you can't remember your password and don't have access to the email address you used to create your
MyDORWAY account, please
contact the SCDOR. You will need to verify your identity
- Your password recovery email is only valid for 2 hours. If you don’t access your password recovery email within 2 hours,
MyDORWAY will not send you another password recovery email for 24 hours and will not display an error message if you try to request a new password recovery email.
- For security reasons, SCDOR representatives cannot tell you the email address associated with your
Users aren’t receiving the two-step verification code when attempting to log in to MyDORWAY.
- If you receive two-step verification codes by email, check your email account’s spam and junk folders.
- If you receive two-step verification codes by text message, check your phone messaging app’s unknown senders and junk folders.
- If you no longer have access to the email address or phone number we're sending codes to, please
contact the SCDOR. You will need to verify your identity
- For security reasons, SCDOR representatives cannot tell you the email address or phone number associated with your
Users accidentally make a payment to the wrong tax account or in the wrong filing period.
- If the payment still shows as
Pending on MyDORWAY, cancel it. For full instructions, click the Dorwin button on
MyDORWAY and enter
cancel payment. Once you cancel the original payment, make a new payment in the correct account or filing period. You cannot cancel a credit card payment.
- If you’re unable to cancel a payment, either because it has processed or because you paid with a credit card,
contact the SCDOR. For full instructions, click the Dorwin button on
MyDORWAY and enter
Users have an
that is categorized as
on some MyDORWAY screens, even though it has been processed by their bank, and the money has been taken from their account.
On Withholding accounts that require
, or Income Tax accounts that require
, the payment will be displayed as
MyDORWAY's Manage Payments & Returns
screen until you have filed the return that the payment is associated with.
Users don’t see the
button, or another button (such as
, or Cancel
) while completing a task on
If you’re using a smartphone, the buttons won’t have text. However, the Next and Submit buttons will be on the far right, with an arrow pointing right. The
Previous button will be on the far left, with an arrow facing left.
- If you’re using a laptop or desktop computer, it’s possible you’ve zoomed in on the screen too far, and the button text has disappeared. Hold
Ctrl and press – (the hyphen key) until the text returns to the buttons.
Connect with the SCDOR on Facebook
to learn more about Dorwin and for the latest news from the SCDOR. And don't forget to subscribe to
, the SCDOR's free monthly newsletter full of the latest tax tips and updates.