DO NOT USE our Individual Income Tax refund status line (803-898-5300) for $50 rebate information. That phone line will not provide accurate information for your $50 rebate. Use the button below to check your rebate status online.
$50 SOUTH CAROLINA REBATE
Earlier this year,
South Carolina lawmakers determined
$61 million of the tax dollars generated by the 2018 Mega Millions winner would be used to fund $50 tax rebate checks for qualifying taxpayers. A rebate check may be on its way to your mailbox! Learn more below and see if you qualify.
In order to qualify for the rebate:
- You must have filed your 2018 South Carolina Individual Income Tax Return by October 15, 2019.
- You must have a 2018 South Carolina tax liability of at least $50 after credits.
- Not sure how to determine your tax liability? Take a look at your 2018 return:
Original returns (SC1040): If Line 15 - (Line 21 + Line 22) is $50 or more, you qualify
Amended returns (SC1040X): If Line 14 - Line 11 is $50 or more, you qualify
Married couples who filed a joint 2018 South Carolina Individual Income Tax Return will receive
one $50 rebate check.
Taxpayers who don’t live in South Carolina, but who filed a 2018 South Carolina Individual Income Tax Return are also eligible, as long as they meet the qualifications listed above.
How will eligible taxpayers receive their rebate?
Eligible South Carolina taxpayers will receive their paper rebate checks by mail.
- You will receive your rebate as a $50 paper check, regardless of how you may have received your 2018 refund.
- Each check will be mailed to the most recent address we have on file for you, which is typically the address on your 2018 South Carolina Individual Income Tax Return.
Have you moved recently? If the address listed on your 2018 South Carolina Individual Income Tax Return is not up-to-date, let us know ASAP! See
How do I make sure my check is mailed to the right address? in the FAQs below.
When will eligible taxpayers receive their rebate?
According to the Legislature, rebates will be issued to eligible taxpayers by December 2. We have started issuing checks.
Remember to allow time for mail processing.
- Rebates are being issued to eligible taxpayers in zip code order.
- If you moved recently and have not updated your address with the SCDOR, your check may be delayed. See How do I make sure my check is mailed to the right address? in the FAQs below.
- Want to know if your check is in the mail?
Check your rebate status here. Enter $50.00 in the Refund Amount field.
If you have not received a $50 rebate check by December 27, 2019, and you meet the eligibility requirements, see
I think my rebate check is lost in the mail, stolen, or destroyed. What should I do?
in the FAQs below.
How do I identify my rebate check?
Your rebate will be mailed in a standard white envelope with an SCDOR return address and your name and address visible in the window.
The check will say "SC Tax Rebate" on the memo line.
The check will be for exactly $50.
- Information about the rebate will be included on the page that the check is printed on.