Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ South Carolina Department of Revenue
Alcohol Beverage Licensing
PO Box 125
Columbia, SC 29214-0907

Phone: 803-898-5864

Report alcohol-related violations:

​ ​

Off-Premises Beer & Wine ​Permit (PBG)​​

The Off-Premises Beer & ​Wine Permit authorizes the sale of beer and wine to go for consumption off ​the licensed premises. 

License renewal

The Off-Premises Beer & Wine Permit must be renewed every two years. The renewal date is based on the county where your business operates, not the date when you applied for or received your license. ​ Learn more about the ​​renewal schedule​.

​​ ​This license does NOT authorize:
  • ​Off-site sales of beer and wine
  • Delivery of beer and wine
  • The sale or consumption of liquor
  • The sale of beer or wine for consumption on the licensed premises
  • The distilling, brewing, fermenting, blending, or bottling of any beverage containing alcohol
  • Curbside sales or pickup, drive-through sales or pickup, or delivery of beer or wine to purchasers

After logging in, select the More tab, then click Apply for a N​ew Alcohol Beverage License.​​

Don'​t have an account?
Sign u​p now​

​Application requirem​ents and instructions​

First, it's important for you to review the general ABL applicant requirements listed on the ABL license directory page.​

When you’re ready to apply, we recommend submitting your application using our free online tax portal, MyDORWAY. It’s faster and easier than completing a paper application, and you don’t have to worry about mail proc​essing or making a trip to one of our offices.​

  • Non-refundable filing fee: $300 (Due at the time your application is submitted)
  • License fee: $600 (​Due every two years with li​cense renewal)
    • ​You must pay a prorated amount of the license fee after your Off-Premises Beer & Wine Permit application has been approved by the SCDOR.

License requirements ​​
  • You must first have a valid South Carolina Retail License. If you have not yet applied for a Retail License, get started here.
  • You must submit a completed Application for Retail Beer, Wine, and Liquor (ABL-9​​​01), including all supplemental forms. See Required Forms below for more information. We recommend applying on MyDORWAY, but if submitting a paper copy of the application, make sure it’s signed and dated.
  • You must have an advertisement run in an approved newspaper that notifies the public that you have applied for an alcohol license. See Required Signs & Notices below for more information.
  • You are required to maintain functioning, sanitary restrooms available for patrons of your business during all hours of operation.
  • You must submit a copy of the lease, deed, writing from a local municipality, or enforceable written contract that grants you the right to use and control the licensed premises. This document must designate the specific area of the premises that will be licensed. In addition, you may supplement this document by submitting a copy of the ABL Lease Supplemental Information​ form (ABL-977).
  • No person may have direct or indirect ownership, influence, or financial interest in more than one of the following entities: a manufacturer, a distributor, or a retailer of beer or wine. 

​120-Day Temporary License

If you have assumed control of a business that sells beer and wine under a valid Off-Premises Beer & Wine Permit, you must apply for your own permit. While your application is being considered by the SCDOR, you can apply for a 120-day temporary license. You must apply for the 120-day temporary license at the same time you submit the application for the permanent license. This license allows you to continue selling beer and wine for 120 days or until your permanent license application is processed, whichever is sooner. Extensions of the 120 day period will not be granted.               

Frequently asked questions

Review the FAQs below for answers to frequently asked questions about the Off-Premises Beer & Wine Permit. Our Beer & Wine and ​Operating an ABL Business​​ pages ​have ​additional helpful information.​


Related SC Code of Laws

  • SC Code Section 61-4-520 – Outlines requirements for retail permit
  • SC Code Section 61-4-58​0 – Outlines prohibited acts
  • SC Code Sections  61-4-735 & 61-4-940 – Outlines three-tier restrictions​​​​​
​ ​ ​