This page will be updated as more information becomes available. (November 8, 2016)
Questions? Give us a call, toll-free, at
1-844-898-8542 and choose option 2.
SC Tax Relief for Certain Taxpayers Affected by Hurricane Matthew
The South Carolina Department of Revenue is extending certain South Carolina tax deadlines for taxpayers in counties declared a federal disaster area. Filing and payment deadlines for South Carolina returns and payments due between October 4, 2016 and March 15, 2017 will now be due March 15, 2017. This tax relief applies to taxpayers who reside in an affected county or who have businesses, tax records, or tax preparers in an affected county.
Who Qualifies for State Tax Relief:
- Residents and businesses in an affected county
- If your tax records are located in an affected county
- If your tax preparer is located in an affected county
- If you are a relief worker
Affected counties that are eligible for South Carolina tax relief currently include:
Additional counties may be added to this list and will be posted to this page as that information becomes available. Official information including tax types and deadlines can be found in SCDOR Information Letter #16-12.
Available State Tax Relief:
- Extension until March 15, 2017 for returns and payments due between October 4, 2016 and March 15, 2017
- The enforced collection of any assessed liability to the taxpayer may be suspended.
- Penalties due as a result of any extensions or suspension of enforced collection activities may be waived. Please send your penalty waiver request in writing.
- Free replacement copies of tax returns destroyed as a result of the flooding. Please mail the SCDOR a completed SC4506 with "Hurricane Matthew" written at the top to the form.
How to Get State Tax Relief:
- If you are a resident or business in an affected county:
- Paper Filer: Affected taxpayers should write "SC Flood" at the top of paper returns or complete the "disaster area" check box if one is provided on the return.
- Electronic Filer: Returns filed by affected taxpayers in affected counties through MyDORWAY do not require any additional action to qualify for this relief.
- If you receive a penalty notice, you should call the number listed on the notice to discuss the application of tax relief.
- If your tax records and/or tax preparer are located in an affected OR if you are a relief worker, please call 1-844-898-8542 and choose option 2 to discuss tax relief.
For an overview of SCDOR policy on state tax relief related to Hurricane Matthew view/download: