South Carolina offers several options for filing Individual Income Tax returns. Filing electronically is the fastest and easiest way to complete your return, plus:
Automatic calculations reduce the chance of errors;
Systematic checkpoints ensure your return is complete before submission; and
We receive your return sooner, which means we can start processing it faster.
Approved Free File software
- If you made less than $66,000 in 2018, you may be able to file your federal and state return using a free, easy-to-use service.
South Carolina Fillable Forms
- SC Fillable Forms is a good option if you want to file for free, you have a simple return, and you are comfortable doing your taxes yourself.
Approved commercial software
- If you don't qualify for a free filing option, you can still file your federal and state returns electronically using an approved tax preparation software.
File by paper
- More than 80% of returns filed in 2018 were filed online.
- Filing by paper increases your chances of errors and paper returns take longer for us to process, which may delay
any refund you may receive.
- Learn more about paper filing >
Already have an Individual Income Tax bill?
Need more time to file?
Request a six month filing extension for your South Carolina Individual Income Taxes by:
- Paying your balance due online using
MyDORWAY on or before the due date. Choose the individual payment option, enter your taxpayer information, and then choose the "Extension Payment" option on the following screen.
OR Mailing a completed SC4868 with your payment for any balance due to the SCDOR on or before the due date.